Respite program for carers
The Weavers Program is a respite program for carers of people with dementia that was developed using co-design and social innovation methodologies that involved both carers and service providers.
In the Weavers Program a past or present carer, or a ‘weaver’ provides volunteer support to other carers in the program.
The project conducted a two-phase prototype of the program and conducted an evaluation. The evaluation found the Weavers Program had these positive outcomes for carers, enabling them to:
- Successfully navigate and negotiate services
- Take increased time out for themselves
- Reduced stress and depression
- Be more optimistic and feel less socially isolated
- Experience increased self-efficacy in their carer role