The Interprofessional Education in Aged Care (IPEAC) toolkit provides a guide for residential aged care staff in conducting student placements at their facility from contacting students to detailing supervision required.
It is a freely available toolkit that gives aged care managers and administrators a comprehensive guide to implement interprofessional education (IPE) programs for both students and staff at their facility.
These placements prepare students and staff for the aged care workforce and allows them to learn about the practical application of their role in a supportive and structured environment.
The toolkit also provides guidance to integrate interprofessional learning activities into discipline-specific student placements in residential aged care facilities.
The evaluation of placements showed they increase:
- Support and social contact through one-on-one and group activities and therapy
- Knowledge and capacity of facility staff through additional training opportunities and knowledge sharing by students of recent professional developments
- Students positive perceptions, with students reporting they were more likely to consider a career in aged care following a placement
- IPEAC webpage on Brightwater Group website
- An Interprofessional Education Toolkit for Staff in Residential Aged Care, Final Report
- Summary Report: An Interprofessional Education Toolkit for Staff in Residential Aged Care, Final Report
The Toolkit was developed in collaboration with aged care providers Brightwater Care Group in Perth and Helping Hand in Adelaide, following an evaluation of the benefits of IPE programs run within these organisations over several years.