Advance care planning
This research project developed a substantial amount of resources on Advance Care Planning (ACP) for use in both home care and health care sectors. The resources focus on individuals, families and professionals and the specific needs of people with dementia.
Many of the resources are available on the Dementia Australia webpage. The resources include planning across a range of financial, health, lifestyle and personal issues including preparation of wills, power of attorney and nomination of substitute decision makers.
With advanced care planning a person’s capacity to make their own decisions needs to be assumed unless there is evidence to the contrary. The report outlines seven key recommendations to improve the uptake and quality of advance care planning for individuals, government and institutions.
- Future Planning and Advance Care Planning. Why it needs to be different for people with dementia
- Companion document – Future Planning and Advance Care Planning. Why it needs to be different for people with dementia
These booklets support individuals in planning ahead:
These brochures support substitute decision makers:
- Supporting a person to make their own decisions
- Can they decide for themselves?
- When you need to make a decision for someone
- Who will speak for you if you can’t?
Health care sector
To aid community, health, aged care and continuing education sector organisations in conducting community education and awareness sessions, see the resources below and the Framework Document that outlines principles to implement advanced care planning in community settings.
- Planning Ahead including advance care planning: A facilitator’s guide
- Case studies: Planning Ahead including advance care planning and substitute decision making
- Scenarios: Planning Ahead including advance care planning and substitute decision making
- Planning ahead including advance care planning presentation template
- Planning ahead including advance care planning video and podcasts
These resources are particularly useful for residential aged care and palliative care:
- Guide to implementing sustainable systems for advance care planning
- Advance care planning continuum of practice model
- The advance care planning continuous quality improvement audit tool
- The advance care planning continuous quality improvement guide